Until it was discovered to be highly toxic, mercury was commonly utilized in a number of household items like thermometers, batteries, and paints. Since then mercury has been removed from more common, everyday items; however, a surprising number of people are still diagnosed with mercury poisoning every year. What’s more is that mercury is tasteless and odorless, so many people who accidentally ingest or inhale the substance are unaware of the fact they are doing so.
Symptoms of Mercury Poisoning
Mercury poisoning can be extremely detrimental to anyone’s health, but can be particularly dangerous for young children. The effects that are most commonly associated with mercury poisoning are as follows:
- Loss of memory
- Weakened muscles
- Loss of coordination
- Vision, speech, and hearing impairment
- Abnormal sensations in one’s extremities
- Development of rashes
- Skin discoloration
- Mental impairment
Perhaps most troubling about mercury poisoning is just how thoroughly avoidable it is; Austin property owners should do everything they reasonably can to remove mercury-containing objects and substances from their premises to better protect those utilizing their property.
Consult With an Austin Mercury Poisoning Attorney
At the Law Offices of Vic Feazell, P.C., our Austin mercury poisoning attorneys will aggressively pursue financial restitution from any Austin property owner whose negligence contributed to you or your loved one’s mercury poisoning. To discuss the exact circumstances of your situation with one of our personal injury lawyers, please call our Austin offices at (512) 710-0931 today.