Injured in an 18-Wheeler Accident?
At the Law Offices of Vic Feazell, P.C., we know that accidents involving 18-wheelers and semi-trucks are among the most devastating forms of motor vehicle accidents that people can suffer. Because of the significant difference in size and force between large commercial trucks and other vehicles on the road, those involved in truck accidents can experience serious injuries from which they may never fully recover. In the worst circumstances, truck accidents may even result in death.
Because of the potentially life-altering consequences that truck accident victims can face as a result of their injuries, it is often essential for these injured individuals to pursue legal action in order to get the compensation they need to get back on their feet. If you have been the victim of a truck accident in Waco, our truck accident attorneys at the Law Offices of Vic Feazell, P.C., can work to ensure that you have the effective legal representation you need.
On This Page:
- Truck Accident Cases We Handle
- Different Trucking Accident Scenarios
- Who Is Responsible for Causing a Truck Accident?
- What Types of Compensation Can I Receive After a Truck Accident?
- Contact An Attorney
- Additional Resources
Request a free case consultation at (254) 938-6885.
TRUCK ACCIDENT CASES WE HANDLE
There are a variety of issues that can lead to truck accidents, but when they are caused by the reckless or irresponsible behavior of someone else, accident victims may be entitled to pursue compensation for their injuries.
At the Law Offices of Vic Feazell, P.C., we have the legal experience and resources to represent victims in cases involving:
- Drunk driving accident victim
- Truck defect / malfunction
- Trucking company negligence
- Truck driver error / negligence
- No-zone truck accidents
Truck accidents can result in a number of catastrophic injuries, including traumatic brain injuries and paralysis, which is something that no one should have to face on their own.
Different Trucking Accident Scenarios
Our Waco truck accident lawyers have years of experience handling truck accident claims throughout the greater Waco area. The highways in the region see a heavy amount of truck traffic in all seasons, which leads to a high number of truck accidents. We have been called upon again and again by locals to help with truck accident claims originating from different types of accident scenarios.
You can count on our team for help with a truck accident claims involving:
- Rear-end impacts: Trucks need more space to come to a complete halt than smaller vehicles do at the same speeds. When a trucker tailgates someone, the result could be a rear-end accident at the next stop or slow in traffic.
- Turning crashes: Tractor-trailers turn widely due to the length of the vehicle. Turning left and right can be problematic when there are vehicles in adjacent lanes, especially if those vehicles are hidden in the truck’s larger blind spots.
- Head-on collisions: Usually the most devastating of all truck accidents, head-on collisions can occur when a trucker drives while fatigued and strays out of their lane and into oncoming traffic.
- Loose cargo: Our truck accident attorneys in Waco can also help you file a claim if you are struck by or crash into cargo that has fallen off a truck.
Who is Responsible for Causing a Truck Accident?
Truck accidents are notorious among crash scene investigators and personal injury attorneys alike for being more complicated than car accidents in terms of determining liability. Whereas you can confidently blame the other driver in most car crashes, simply blaming the truck driver and no one else for a truck accident might not be enough. Careful investigations often reveal that there are more parties who can be found responsible for the crash.
Liable parties in car accidents can include:
- Truck driver: Just like other motorists, truck drivers always owe a duty of care to people on the road. No matter what has happened to their vehicle to make it defective or difficult to drive, the trucker is still the first and only person in immediate control of the truck. If there is a crash, then they are likely to be found at least partially responsible if not mostly.
- Trucking company: The company that paid the truck driver to complete the delivery or route can be held liable for the truck accident, too, due to the legal concept of respondeat superior. This rule makes employers accountable when their workers – contracted or employed – hurt a third-party through negligence. Trucking companies can become further liable if it is found that they failed to take basic safety precautions, like hiring experienced truck drivers, providing training courses, and scheduling reasonable hours.
- Cargo crews and vendors: Truck accidents can be caused by the cargo loaded on or in the trailer. If cargo is stacked so it is top-heavy, the truck can tip over when turning or during high winds. Loosely secured cargo can come loose while the vehicle is in transit and strike drivers behind the truck. In both cases, the company that loaded the cargo could be liable. You might be surprised to find that truck drivers and trucking companies rarely load their own cargo onto trucks, especially when they are loaded at third-party bays owned by retailers, grocers, etc.
- Truck part manufacturers: If a truck accident is caused by a vehicle defect, like a brake failure or ruptured tire, then the blame could be placed on the manufacturer of that part. At that point, your injury claim would not just involve a truck driver and a trucking company, but also a manufacturing company, so the defense will be even fiercer than before.
When a large truck hits your vehicle, your first thought might be that the trucker behind the wheel is wholly responsible for your injuries. While this could be true, sometimes trucking companies are also implicated in truck accidents.
Truck accident liability may involve the following actions by a negligent truck company:
- Requiring a driver to work too many hours, violating FMCSA Hours of Service regulations
- Negligently hiring an unqualified driver or a driver with a history of accidents
- Failing to ensure that a truck is properly maintained
- Failing to ensure that the trailer is properly loaded
Truck drivers may face liability for the following behaviors:
- Willfully driving longer than they are allowed to per shift
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Driving while fatigued because they neglected to take their required rest breaks
- Speeding or engaging in other reckless driving behaviors
- Texting or using a cell phone while driving
No matter what the case, your attorney can help you determine who is responsible for your accident and take appropriate legal action.
What Types of Compensation Can I Receive After a Truck Accident?
If you have been involved in a truck accident and suffered injuries or damages, you may be eligible to receive various types of compensation. Some common forms of compensation include:
- Payment for medical expenses such as hospital bills, doctor visits, and rehabilitation
- Reimbursement for lost income if your injuries prevent you from working
- Coverage for property damage to your vehicle or other belongings
- Compensation for physical and emotional pain and suffering caused by the accident and your injuries
- Payment for loss of consortium if the accident led to the loss of a spouse's companionship, comfort, or sexual intimacy
- Punitive damages in some cases where the defendant's conduct was particularly egregious
The specific amount and types of compensation you may be able to receive will depend on the specific details of your case, such as the severity of your injuries, the extent of the property damage, and the actions of those involved. To learn more about your legal options for pursuing compensation, contact our team of experts today!
TO RECOVER COMPENSATION, CALL THE LAW OFFICES OF VIC FEAZELL, P.C.
If you have been involved in an accident with a large commercial truck, you may be able to recover compensation to help you manage your injuries. Contact our Waco truck accident attorneys at the Law Offices of Vic Feazell, P.C., today by calling (254) 938-6885 to learn more about what we can do for you.
Please give us a call todayto learn more about how we can assist you.
Many Satisfied Clients
If we don't put money in your pocket, you don't owe us anything.
"I was involved in my case as if I was on the team, and that made me feel comfortable with them."Marquisha D.
"They really fought for me to ensure I received what I was entitled to. If you want a law office that cares about you and not a quick buck this is definitely the office for you."Sonya D.
"I highly recommend Jonathon Zemek, the paralegal that worked on my file and kept me updated on a consistent basis. I am happy with the outcome and their professionalism throughout the whole process."Monica R.W.