Skip to Content

Am I Covered in an Accident Driving into Mexico?


Texas is one of the many states that borders another country. Driving into Mexico or vacationing to the country is a common venture for many in the state. As a personal injury firm in Texas, we often come across cases of individuals who have gotten into car accidents while driving in Mexico.

Below, we discuss what your legal options are if you or a loved one is injured in a car accident that happens across the border.

Insurance Policies and Accidents in Mexico

According to the Texas Department of Insurance, many car insurance policies do not cover accidents that occur while you’re driving in Mexico. If yours does, it may be subject to mile limits, such as within 50 miles of the border. Before driving into Mexico, do your research. No two car insurance policies are completely the same. Remember that you should base your own policy coverage on your unique situation or lifestyle. If you frequent Mexico or if you have family members who live there, you probably want to add coverage that applies to accidents in this country.

An insurance agent should be able to help you find coverage that you need to ensure you’re covered in these situations. Your premiums may be more, but you want to make sure you are financially covered in the event of an accident in Mexico. To further protect yourself, always be sure to carry with you:

  • Your passport

  • Your driver’s license

  • Your proof of insurance card

Whatever the situation of your accident, don’t hesitate to reach out to the personal injury attorneys at the Law Offices of Vic Feazell. We will work as your legal advocates and help you to help you navigate this complicated process.

Contact our firm at (254) 938-6885 to schedule a free case review with one of our Texas personal injury attorneys.