Skip to Content

When Will My Child Outgrow Their Car Seat?

man installing a front-facing car seat

Understanding Texas Car Seat Recommendations

With back-to-school season and other life transitions in full swing, the last thing you should have to worry about is your child’s safety in the car. However, with the daily commute, going to and from sports and extracurricular activities, having the appropriate car/booster seat as your little one grows is essential. Here is a quick guide to help you know when it’s time to upgrade to a new car seat.

Picking the Right Car Seat

Texas currently requires all children younger than 8 years old and shorter than 4 feet, 9 inches, to be in an appropriate child safety seat. When choosing the right car seat for your child, it’s important to pay attention to the manufacturer’s height and weight limits. Here are the current recommendations:

  • Rear-Facing Car Seat: Newborn to two years old (although it’s recommended they stay rear-facing as long as possible).
  • Front-Facing Car Seat: Ages 2 to 7 (or when reaching the size limit).
  • Booster Seat: Ages 4 to 12 (or when reaching the size limit).
  • Seat Belt: When the child is taller than 4’9” and the belt can fit snugly across the lap and chest.

Should I Reuse Car Seats?

For families with children of different ages, it’s common to use “hand me down” car seats instead of purchasing a new one for each child. This is a sound option, but it should be noted that most manufacturers recommend not using a car seat 10 years or more past when it was made. Like most products, car seats come with expiration dates that should be followed.

Additionally, you may choose to register your child’s seat with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to be alerted in the event of a recall.

Texas Personal Injury Attorneys

When your family is endangered by others on the road, you deserve to work with a team who understands how to get you justice. After a crash, Law Offices Of Vic Feazell, P.C. can help you get back on your feet and pursue compensation on your behalf. Schedule a free consultation by calling (254) 938-6885 to get started.