Temple Dog Bite Lawyers
Dedicated Legal Advocacy in Central Texas
Dog bites can leave victims severely injured. In some cases, dog bites even result in catastrophic injuries. In all cases, dog bites are traumatic, leaving victims with physical scars, mental anguish, and emotional trauma.
If you have been bitten by a dog in Temple, Texas, you should seek immediate medical attention and contact a dog bite injury lawyer as soon as possible. Dog bite laws vary by state, but in Texas, dog owners are typically liable for dog bites and other dog-related injuries.
At the Law Offices of Vic Feazell, P.C., our Temple dog bite lawyers are prepared to fight for the compensation you deserve. We know how to navigate the legal system, and we are fully committed to our clients' best interests.
For a free consultation with our Temple dog bite attorneys, call us at (254) 938-6885 or contact us online today.
What Are the Common Causes of Dog Attacks?
Dogs are not inherently dangerous and can be safe, especially if they are family pets. However, dog attacks do occur, and they can cause severe injuries.
Common causes of dog attacks include:
- Unprovoked attacks
- Unleashed dogs
- Defending their territory
- Defending their young
- Interrupting their feeding habits
- Defending their owner
What Are the Legal Ramifications of a Dog Bite?
Under Texas's dog bite laws, a dog owner is liable for any damages caused by their dog's actions, including dog bites.
Texas, like many states, has adopted a variant of the "one-bite" rule. Under this rule, owners who are aware or should be aware of their pets' potential danger are strictly liable when their dog attacks someone. Once an owner is aware of their dog's aggressive tendencies, they bear responsibility for any bites or injuries caused by their pet. It's important to note that the owner remains liable even if they have taken responsible measures to safeguard people from their pet's actions.
In Texas, dog owners are liable for dog bites and other dog-related injuries:
- If the owner knew the dog had a history of aggression
- If the owner knew the dog was dangerous
- If the owner failed to keep the dog restrained
- If the owner failed to warn others of the dog's presence
For example, if a dog owner knew their dog had a history of aggression and failed to restrain the dog, they are liable for any injuries the dog causes. If a dog owner knew their dog had a history of aggression toward children and failed to warn others of the dog's presence, they are liable for any injuries the dog causes to a child.
What Should I Do if I Suffer a Dog Bite Injury Due to Another's Negligence?
Dogs are often referred to as man's best friend, but even the most friendly dog can become aggressive and attack without warning. Dog bites can result in serious injuries and trauma, both physically and emotionally. If you've suffered a dog bite injury caused by another person or entity's negligence, it's important to know what to do. Below, we'll discuss the steps you should take to protect yourself and receive proper compensation:
- Seek Medical Attention: The first and most important step you should take after a dog attack is to seek medical attention immediately. Dog bites can cause serious injuries, such as infections, nerve damage, and scarring, all of which require medical treatment. Even if the injury appears minor, you should still seek medical attention. This will not only ensure your health and safety but also provide documentation of your injuries, which will be important later.
- Report the Incident to Animal Control: After seeking medical attention, you should report the incident to animal control or the local police department. Animal control will investigate the incident, document the details, and determine if the dog is a danger to the community. This will help prevent future attacks and hold the dog owner responsible for their negligence. It's important to provide as much information as possible, including the dog owner's name and contact information, as well as any witnesses to the attack.
- Document and Preserve Evidence: To strengthen your case, it's important to document and preserve evidence of the attack. This includes taking photos of your injuries, documenting any medical treatment you receive, and keeping track of any expenses related to the incident. You should also keep a record of any missed work or lost wages due to the injury. This will help you build a strong case and receive fair compensation for your injuries.
- Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer: If you've suffered a dog bite injury due to another person or entity's negligence, it's important to hire a personal injury lawyer to represent you. A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process, file a claim, and negotiate a fair settlement. They can also help gather evidence, interview witnesses, and build a compelling case on your behalf. Hiring a personal injury lawyer will ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve and that your rights are protected.
- Know Your Rights: Finally, it's important to know your rights as a victim of a dog bite injury. In most cases, the dog owner is legally responsible for their pet's actions. This means that they are responsible for any injuries and damages caused by their dog. By knowing your rights and working with a personal injury lawyer, you can hold the dog owner accountable for their negligence and receive fair compensation for your injuries.
Dog bites can cause serious injuries and trauma, both physically and emotionally. If you've suffered a dog bite injury due to another person or entity's negligence, it's important to know what to do. By seeking medical attention, reporting the incident to animal control, documenting and preserving evidence, hiring a personal injury lawyer, and knowing your rights, you can protect yourself and receive proper compensation. Remember, you have the right to hold the dog owner accountable for their negligence and receive fair compensation for your injuries.
Victim of a Dog Bite? Contact Our Temple Dog Bite Attorneys Today!
If you have been bitten by a dog, our Temple dog bite lawyers at the Law Offices of Vic Feazell, P.C. are here to help you get the compensation you deserve. We have extensive experience in navigating the legal system and are fully dedicated to prioritizing our clients' best interests. Don't hesitate to reach out to our dog bite law firm in Temple today.
Give us a call at (254) 938-6885 or reach out to us online today to schedule a free consultation with our experienced Temple dog bite attorneys. We’re available 24/7.
Many Satisfied Clients
If we don't put money in your pocket, you don't owe us anything.
"I was involved in my case as if I was on the team, and that made me feel comfortable with them."Marquisha D.
"They really fought for me to ensure I received what I was entitled to. If you want a law office that cares about you and not a quick buck this is definitely the office for you."Sonya D.
"I highly recommend Jonathon Zemek, the paralegal that worked on my file and kept me updated on a consistent basis. I am happy with the outcome and their professionalism throughout the whole process."Monica R.W.